Support for dual graphics laptop

adj592

Support for dual graphics laptop

Post by adj592 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:26 pm

I have a dual graphics laptop with Intel 4600 HD Graphics and an NVIDIA GTX 960M dedicated card.

I'm using the trial version of Aster v2.2 and can't seem to make Aster use my dedicated card for games.

I took a look at the FAQs, where there is "8. What are system requirements to PC with the installed ASTER software?" but honestly I didn't find it much helpful.

From here I saw the following dialog, which seemed helpful, but I can't find it in the latest version of the program. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

kurasov1965M

1 Support for dual graphics laptop

Post by kurasov1965M » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:49 pm

After installing the graphics card driver in the operating system, go to the AMDVISIONEngineControlCenter.
Browse to PerformanceAMD Radeonв„ў Dual Graphics and ensure the Enable AMD Radeon Dual Graphics
check box is selected.

beast2040

Re: Support for dual graphics laptop

Post by beast2040 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:26 am

adj592 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:26 pm
It is recommended to use a notebook either with the discrete video adapter or the integrated video adapter.
Otherwise, if the notebook uses both types video adapter you will not be able to employ the discrete video card for ASTER needs.
Therefore, for a discrete graphics card your should not write the number of the workplace, or try disabling the HD4600 in the BIOS

adj592

Post by adj592 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.
kurasov1965M wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:49 pm
After installing the graphics card driver in the operating system, go to the AMDVISIONEngineControlCenter.
Browse to PerformanceAMD Radeonв„ў Dual Graphics and ensure the Enable AMD Radeon Dual Graphics
check box is selected.
As I said, I have an NVIDIA card, so there's no such option on my system, btw this gave me the idea of going to the NVIDIA Control Panel -> "Manage 3D Settings" -> "Global Settings" tab -> Set the NVIDIA card as the Preferred graphic processor.

This should make the NVIDIA card be the default card for any application (maybe except explorer I think). After that I enabled Aster and rebooted, but it still didn't help, even only one instance of the game (F1 2014) is run with very poor performance.

If I go to Aster and hover over the monitors representing the two terminals, both of them (The generic PnP monitor and the HDMI-1 external monitor) have the integrated 4600 in their name, so I guess that surely means both terminals are using the integrated card.
beast2040 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:26 am
adj592 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:26 pm
It is recommended to use a notebook either with the discrete video adapter or the integrated video adapter.
Otherwise, if the notebook uses both types video adapter you will not be able to employ the discrete video card for ASTER needs.
Therefore, for a discrete graphics card your should not write the number of the workplace, or try disabling the HD4600 in the BIOS
Yes, that's what I want to do, I only want to use the NVIDIA card for both games. I don't understand what this means "your should not write the number of the workplace", can you please explain? I'm very new to Aster.

Disabling the 4600 in the BIOS is something I had thought of, but will leave it as a last resort (I'm not even sure my bios will let me, I'm going to check).

beast2040

Post by beast2040 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 pm

If I go to Aster and hover over the monitors representing the two terminals, both of them (The generic PnP monitor and the HDMI-1 external monitor) have the integrated 4600 in their name, so I guess that surely means both terminals are using the integrated card.
This is because the monitor is physically connected to the video output of the integrated graphics card.
I don't understand what this means "your should not write the number of the workplace", can you please explain?
This means that a discrete graphics card will not work with ASTER (until you turned off the HD4600), so there is no point in assigning it to the workstation.

adj592

Post by adj592 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:33 pm

beast2040 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 pm
This is because the monitor is physically connected to the video output of the integrated graphics card.
Okay, that's precisely what I was trying to determine with my previous post which unfortunately did not appear, probably because it would have been a double post (I'll paste it below).
beast2040 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 pm
I don't understand what this means "your should not write the number of the workplace", can you please explain?
This means that a discrete graphics card will not work with ASTER (until you turned off the HD4600), so there is no point in assigning it to the workstation.
Not sure, have I in any way "written the number" of a workplace?
Aster does not seem to be able to detect my discrete GPU so I don't think I've done anything related to it in Aster.

Previous hidden post:

As I expected my BIOS won't let me disable the integrated card (I can only disable the dedicated NVIDIA card).

Btw, I think this issue I'm having could be related to my system and the way it outputs the HDMI signal. This is how my NVIDIA Control Panel normally looks like when connecting an external monitor (without Aster running of course):

As you can see it looks as though the Intel integrated card handles both the laptop screen and the LG TV screen so I assume the HDMI port is on the integrated card.

On an older laptop of mine (where I have a GeForce GT 555M) when I attach an external monitor through HDMI to it, this is how the NVIDIA Control Panel looks like:

As you can see I get all the additional "Display" and "Video" menus on the left (which I don't have when no external monitor is attached) and the picture shows the HDMI port is handled by the NVIDIA card (I know for sure it belongs to the NVIDIA card on this laptop).

So what I'm thinking is that what's fooling Aster is the fact the HDMI is physically on the integrated card instead of being on the dedicated card like my older system, even though I still haven't tried Aster on my older system (the 555M would be too weak anyway) but I will just to make sure.