Lord of the Rings Online - question

Honza

Lord of the Rings Online - question

Post by Honza » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:54 am

Hello,
does anyone have any experience playing 2-man on 1 machine LOTRO please (or any multi-pple on one machine setup)? If so, are there any problems I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Honza

xtcvapor

Re: Lord of the Rings Online - question

Post by xtcvapor » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:45 pm

I only have experience with 2 simultaneous multiplayer games on the same machine.

First I'll start with Star Citizen.

I found that the login token for the game is stored in the installation directory. So when I login on one terminal, my token is now in the folder. When I start up Star Citizen from the other terminal, it doesn't matter if I login with another account, it reuses the existing token, so both terminals are running the same account - not good. To work around this, I just copied the install directory to another HDD and put a 2nd link on the desktop to start the secondary install. Works pretty well.

Now keep in mind that this isn't a managed game like games that need uPlay or Origin. So I'll move on to that.

I have another game, Far Cry 4. This uses a game manager, DRM or whatever is used. So you have to actually be logged into uPlay to play it. I have it installed on my PC once. I just added another user, had them install uPlay separately (not the game) and login with their account. uPlay recognized that it was already installed and let the 2nd user launch the game with no issues.

My current rig is as follows:

FX-8320@4.6GHz
16GB 2133MHz RAM
256 SSD
2TB HDD
nVidia GTX970 (x2) SLI disabled (+125MHz OC on RAM and GPU)
24" 1080p monitors (x2)

No issues running both instances of FC4 full screen on both monitors and Ultra detail settings. Also, no issues running Co-Op (Essentially multiplayer) through the official uPlay channels.

Honza

Post by Honza » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:28 pm

Okay, thanks for info...

as for LOTRO it directly supports running multiple instances, so there shouldn't be problems. What I was wondering about was the screen/keyboard/mouse catching+matching, but both info from you and from LOTRO forum seem to be quite promising. I've ordered 2nd set of keyb+mouse and give it a try. I'll post about the results.

Honza

Post by Honza » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:13 am

So it seems to be working, haven't had much time to play, but we both got in game, each on own screen with dedicated keyboard+mouse. The only issue was with Full Screen mode where mouse cursor was absent, changing to border-less windowed mode (kinda fullscreen) solved the issue.

Tested with
SW:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Aster V7 64bit v1.2.4.18.12.3.1.3.26
LOTRO with high-res textures

HW:
Core i5-2500K
16GB DDR3, 1600MHz
SSD 240GB
GeForce GTX-580 (EVGA hydro, OCed)

Screen 1: 27", 2560x1440
Screen 2: 21,1", 1680x1050

Most stressed component is the graphic card, it couldn't handle 2nd account fluently when both had x4 AntiAliasing (maxed details & DX11 on both), quick check revealed AA consumes too much extra gpu memory, which was expected. Dropping it solved the issue. Trying DX9 version led to poor performance on second account no matter what settings I tried.

I'll update after some hours played about stability and long-term performance across various locations.

xtcvapor

Post by xtcvapor » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:33 am

With 2 video cards, the fullscreen issue/mouse cursor issue is non-existent. I would suggest if you feel like upgrading your video card then you should get 2 instead of 1. 2 GTX970s is roughly the same as a 980Ti, but the Ti is overkill for 1080p@60Hz. The 970 is perfect for 2 x 1080p.

Honza

Post by Honza » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:28 pm

So far so good after few hours playing, no visible performance issues or so, though watching gpu memory consumption we might have to drop something later in some more stressing locations while gpu load has still a lot of room.

As for the upgrade... it's planned. I want to go Kaby Lake (i5) + HBM2 nVidia (prolly "GTX-1070" or "GTX-1080" so it can easily handle even very stressful single player games - depending the costs and actual performance), then run 1440p screen on beefy card and 1680x1050 with current GTX-580... and replace it later when we hit performance or technological "outdatedness" issues (which currently seems more likely than hitting performance cap on 1680x1050 screen).

MoskKsusrab

2 Lord of the Rings Online question

Post by MoskKsusrab » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:20 pm

Hellooooooooooooooo, thanks for the info.

btw, whats your views on the game? Have you played it?

Honza

Post by Honza » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:11 pm

Hello, I've played it solo several years back and liked PvE content quite a lot. It seems like one of the best possible choices to bring someone totally fresh in RPG, yet alone MMO to the genre. Given when we duo with my wife there are no big urges or so I have plenty of time to translate english version to czech or russian for my wife, whose english is not good enough. Also we can't play long timespans currently since wife is in late pregnancy and can't sit long, but we progress, slowly but steadily. And quite like it.
I don't consider endgame at all, we rather go slow, explore, claim all achievable things in one location before we move further. I don't think we'd get past Moria before summer.