switching active user sessions on a workstation

dev

Post by dev » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:40 pm

When logged in on a workstation and then locking it, I cannot switch to another user when Aster is installed.

This is really inconvienient because here multiple family members are used to keeping their session open and return to it later.

Can this be configured or fixed?

beast2040

Post by beast2040 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:36 pm

The ability to fast user switching intentionally disabled.
It is necessary for the correct operation of Aster.

BadBone2k

Re: switching active user sessions on a workstation

Post by BadBone2k » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:41 am

I've been using SoftXPand for the past four years. Since there seems to be no progress towards Windows 10 I'm looking for alternatives.

Aster does a lot better than SoftXPand (I like automatic user login and finally Handbrake works!), but user switching was a vital piece of daily work.
This is necessary because only one user is allowed to eject USB devices. In SoftXPand it was the one most recent logged in. But it is not necessary to logout, it would be enough to “switch back” to the same user. So with the ability to switch users, I could manage what session would be active and to be able to e.g. eject USB thumb sticks.

This is also relevant for the functionality of other hardware: my all-in-one printer/scanner (Brother DCP-145C) supports event buttons. When these buttons are used the event is always handled by the user on terminal 1 (in Aster). But in most cases I need these events to be handled by terminal 2! I assume when user switching was possible in Aster, I could workaround this problem like I did in SoftXPand.

So: what group policy / regedit key is changed by Aster to disable user switching? I already found
“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\mtxk_hidefastuserswitching”
but this is reset upon reboot (by Aster?)

I'm open for other ideas. I'm aware that my scanner works fine, when the scan software is loaded directly by the user on terminal 2, I could simply stop using these buttons. But walking to the other terminal to eject thumb sticks is something I would like to avoid.